TITHE APPORTIONMENT MAP

Tithes were payments in kind made by parishioners, assessed at one-tenth of their annual profits from farming for the support of their parish church and clergy. The produce was often stored in a tithe barn (one exists in Trusham at the Old Rectory- picture).

In Tudor times, some church land and tithes passed into private ownership. It became common for money payments to replace payments in kind, especially with enclosures in the late 18th century.

In 1836, the Tithe Commutation Act aimed to regularise the situation by replacing any existing tithe in kind with the so-called ‘corn rent’, a monetary payment calculated (nationally) on the seven year average prices of wheat, oats and barley. 

Maps and apportionment schedules were produced for each district,  identifying owners and tenants and giving the names of fields/areas as well as descriptions of land use.

Sometimes, particularly in the early stages of commutation, the commissioners had to ascertain and define ancient boundaries between parishes or townships, or to establish new boundary lines, in order to resolve disputes between landowners. These boundary awards, made under the Tithe Acts 1839 and 1840, are usually accompanied by a plan and often include schedules of lands giving names of owners and occupiers.

On May 23rd 1840, a notice was published in The Western Times, on behalf of the Tithe Commissioners, indicating that a copy of the Draft of Apportionment of the Rent Charge agreed to be paid in lieu of Tithes had been deposited at Symons Farm House in Trusham, where a meeting would be held on June 10th for the purpose of hearing any objections.

In order to facilitate searching the same information is presented in different ways. Each pdf will open in a new window. 

 

1838 Tithe Apportionment arranged by:-

A pdf of the original document and a map of the plots can be found at  http://www.devon.gov.uk/tithemaps.htm