These are some of the versions of the village’s name as found in various records. It is possibly of Celtic origin with interpretations including place of thorns, brushwood or fallen leaves.   It is mentioned in records from 1086 onwards.   The Domesday Survey recorded a settlement of 23 households (4 villagers. 9 smallholders. 10 slaves).  Eight hundred years later, the 1881 Census shows limited growth, with 41 households and a population of 177.  By 2001, the number of households had increased to 60, but the population had fallen to 144. 



The Trusham of many years ago had the services of shoemakers, dressmakers and thatchers. There was the church, a school, a shop, a post office and a pub, as well as links to the outside world by bus and train.   Transport links have now gone, as have the post office and shop. While there is no longer a resident vicar, the church plays an important part in village life as does the pub, The Cridford.  Although the school closed in November 1948, its Victorian building, now the Village Hall, is the focus of various village activities including an art group, regular quizzes, coffee mornings and entertainments.

The village is too small to have a Parish Council, instead a Village Meeting of elected representatives undertakes a similar role.   The village hall is administered by a separate committee.

The internet is provided by copper cable from a fibre enabled cabinet 3/4 of a mile from the village.



Trusham is situated on the western side of the 250 m high Haldon Hills, roughly 90m about the river Teign, which forms the Dartmoor National Park boundary and is just over 1/2  mile away.  Exeter is 7 miles as the crow flies to the north east and Newton Abbot is the same distance to the south.  The village is accessed via minor roads which are predominately single track with passing places.   The A38 passes within 2 miles at Chudleigh.  The centre of the village has the O S grid reference SX 854 821 and for sat nav users the post code is TQ13 0NW.